San Francesco a Monte Mario

Exterior of the old and new church.

San Francesco d'Assisi a Monte Mario encompass two Roman Catholic churches located in Piazza di Monte Gaudio #8, in Rome, Italy.

Description

Presently, the site has a modern church and an older church structures. The older church and an adjacent monastery, built circa 1670, were erected by the Hieronymite order. It was initially titled Sant'Onofrio in Campagna and located in the Borgo Clementino. Located on the entry of the Via Francigena towards central Rome, the church changed the dedication to St Francis of Assisi. It was made a parish church by pope Clement XI.[1]

In 2003, a new church was designed by Anna Claudia Cenciarini.[2] The church has a sculpted frieze. It is presently under the administration of the Scolopi order.[3]

Gallery

  • Exterior of old church
    Exterior of old church
  • Interior of old church
    Interior of old church
  • Detail of stucco in old church
    Detail of stucco in old church
  • Layout of new church
    Layout of new church
  • Interior of new church
    Interior of new church
  • Apse of new church
    Apse of new church

Note

  1. ^ Guida metodica di Roma e suoi contorni, by Giuseppe Melchiorri, Rome (1836); page 352.
  2. ^ San Francesco d'Assisi a Monte Mario; accessed 31 August 2018.
  3. ^ Church official website.